Marat Salimgareev shared his impressions about this lens — thank you for this Marat. And opened a small cycle of articles about tilt/shift lenses in my blog (about Canon TS-E 90/2.8 soon).
If you have an experience with tilt/shift as lenses or cardan cameras, I will be grateful if you tell us about the impressions and share pictures.
Those who like to photograph architecture, should note this lens. The lens allows to level prospect at a stage of a picture or to start up sharpness depth along some plane, for example, of a wall. Then extended walls of the building are sharp on all extent, that the even strongly clamped diaphragm can’t give.
Somehow, when I had free time from trainings and work in the evenings, I decided to go to the shop and to buy something. I the shop, I decided that i need to buy a perfect lens. And I left it with this purchase. I didn’t regret any minute, it is one of my favourite lenses.
It is Tilt/Shift lens, (an inclination + shift). The inclination (tilt) can be turned, as well as shift. By the way, at first I thought that the focal plane can’t be turned, I was even upset, “Yes for such money! My previous T/Sh lens for 500$ was better!” But, when I came home, I decided to read the instruction and the pleasure wasn’t a limit, it could rotate, even more, than the old one (Arax 80mm TS, I will tell about it in the next review). 2 independet parts, one which answers for tilt, and another which is responsible for shift. Now to an essence.
Well, it is great for landscapes andarchitecture. Rather contrast.
1. Sharp, I accept even F4, it is rare when I clamp a diaphragm more strongly.
2. Exposure to infinity, is exposed precisely, unlike other lenses.
3. All delights of T/Sh.
4. Does not afraid of the sun.
5. It is possible to use ex-tenders.
1. The focusing ring turns very good. It is easy to moove it with the hand, and it is necessary to check whether it is constant or not.
2. If the sun is on shot border, appears a vile patch of light.
3. The forward lens sticks out too strong (That is why a lot of people think it is fish-eye) and that structurally complicates installation of filters.
4. At least, a clip, fixes strange.
5. Not critical minus it is weight, for someone will seem to rather heavy.
Photo examples by Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L
The pictures made on Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L with use of the camera modified under IK-shooting